One of the most important metrics to understand the performance of your website is Bounce Rate. But, do you know exactly what it represents?
In this blog post from BMT Agency you will learn what Bounce Rate is, why it is important for the SEO of your website and why you should seek to reduce it.
What is Bounce Rate?
The Bounce Rate is the number of people, out of every hundred, who leave a website without having made a single click. It is a metric that measures two variables:
- Number of pages a user visits within a website.
- Time spent on page.
This statistic not only takes into account the time the user spends on a site, but also the entries or pages visited. We can say that it does not matter if a visit lasts 30 seconds or 5 minutes, if the user does not make a click or visits different pages on a website, it will increase the Bounce Rate.
Why is Bounce Rate important?
The importance of the Bounce Rate lies in two fundamental reasons:
- It is an indicator to know if your website is liked by users: if a person does not interact with your site or leaves as soon as they enter, something is wrong.
- Google takes this variable into account to improve or not your web positioning; so it is important that you work on your SEO strategy.
When it is clear what it represents and where the importance of the Bounce Rate is, it will be possible to identify if it is high or low on a website, and if it is necessary to improve it.
What is a high Bounce Rate?
In order to assess whether the Bounce Rate is high or not, you must have a reference of what the average parameters are in a certain sector. In general, and as an approximation, the following can be taken:
- For an online store it is 30%
- In a blog it is 70%
- On a corporate website it is 20%
- On landing pages it is 20%
On a corporate or business website, the acceptable Bounce Rate should never exceed 20%. This reference will serve to establish objectives and make pertinent changes in the web usability, the UI and UX, the SEO strategy or in all the aspects that need to be improved.
Why is it necessary to reduce Bounce Rate and how to achieve it?
As we mentioned before, reducing the Bounce Rate helps improve the ranking of a website and not least, it can increase the conversion rate.
Therefore, if you want to improve the state of your website, in addition to being able to increase your sales and profits, you must take this metric into account and start implementing actions that help you reduce it. Some of the practices that we recommend are:
- Improve the readability of your content.
- Avoid pop-up pages and clutter the UX.
- Create an irresistible Call to Action.
- Keep content fresh and correct.
- Choose keywords with high value traffic.
- Attract the right audience.
- Write attractive meta descriptions.
- Speed up the loading time of your website.
- Set links to open in new windows.
- Optimize the website for different devices.
Give your website the power to attract customers with BMT Agency!
At BMT Agency we are delighted to help you develop and execute a marketing strategy that improves the design and functionality of your website and help you achieve the goals you have set for your business in an environment that is as changing as it is necessary for today’s companies. Contact us and a group of experts will become your best ally in the digital world.